Come admire the talent of the cosplayers competing in the masquerade.
Participants prepare themselves several months in advance to make realistic costumes drawn from animes, video games, or even their imagination. Participants must present the results of their work to a panel of experienced judges. They organize an original staging, because they are not only judged on the quality of their work of sewing and craftsmanship but also on their performance on stage.
Registration and rules of the masquerade
Rules of the masquerade at Festival Nadeshicon 2018:
You can print the registration form for the masquerade and fill it out before the festival! That being said, just filling it does not guarantee you an entry into the masquerade; you must present yourself at registration, starting at 6pm on Friday or 9am on Saturday, and hand in your form there. Blank forms will also be available on site if, for one reason or another, you can’t fill it ahead of time.
No forms sent to the management, electronically or not, will be accepted.
Rules for the masquerade
The number of registrations is limited to 40 entries. 20 teams can register on Friday from 18h to 20h and another 20 on Saturday from 9h to 11h near the Hydro-Québec room. For participants wishing to enter the out-of-competition category, you will be able to register on Saturday only and if places are still available.
Just a reminder, it is important to take the time to read the rules of the masquerade before signing in to avoid confusion or errors that may affect your participation.
You can find them here:
Microphones are not provided. The use of a pre-recorded soundtrack is strongly recommended. We suggest using the mp3 format for all sound files. To avoid confusion, please put only one track on the CD or USB flash drive and check that it works before submitting it to the registration desk. If possible, please also write the name of your entry and the track number on your CD. It is also better to bring two copies of your CD (different brands if possible) in case of problems with one of the copies. Nadeshicon is in no way responsible for the loss or breakage of the CD or the USB flash drive that you submit; so, if the music you want to use is from a rare or original CD, it’s best to make a copy of your CD.
The maximum duration is 1 minute for groups. There is no maximum number of participants per group, but a maximum of 10 people at a time is allowed on stage. Only 40 places are available. No EXCEPTIONS will be accepted.
- No flame, powder or “flash” paper will be allowed on stage. If you would like to use an electronic flash or any other visual effects, you have to mention it in your registration form, so the host can inform the audience. No laser pointer will be allowed.
- No hard to clean substance will be allowed on stage. In doubt, please ask the direction of the masquerade for permission when submitting your registration form. The stage has to be in the same state before and after your performance. If you have to leave objects on stage, they have to be easy to remove by the staff members, unless you can provide your own ninja.
- No nudity. The masquerade is rated “General but not recommended for young children”. A work classified as Visa général has only occasional scenes of violence. These are not overly intense and are not condoned. Although there may be some nudity, love scenes remain rather discreet. Depending on the context, some expletives are tolerated. (Régie du Cinéma, Québec https://www.rcq.gouv.qc.ca/en/process.asp#cG)
- No firearm, firearm imitation or projectile weapon will be allowed on the Université Laval campus and during the masquerade. No bladed weapons with a metal blade, sharpened or not, will be allowed. If your costume requires a bow, the string has to be detached when not on stage. All large accessories, or all accessories that look like a weapon presented in the masquerade have to follow the rules of the festival regarding weapons and be approved by the festival’s “weaponcheck” team. NO EXCEPTION.
- Each participant cannot appear more than once during the masquerade. However, everyone can feature as many costumes as desired, but each participant can only wear one. Other costumes have to be featured by other participants (part of the same group or not).
- Participants are required to be present in the waiting room at the requested time. For more details, please consult the registration stand of the masquerade. If you are not on time, or are not ready to go on stage when it is your turn, you will be disqualified. Any exception will be decided by the judges and the management of the masquerade.
- The masquerade is an amateur competition. Costumes bought online or rented are not eligible for prizes, as well as costumes made for professional or theatrical purposes; however, these costumes can be featured on stage in the « non-competition » category. Please note that priority will be granted to costumes that weren’t bought, and costumes conceived by amateurs. Registrations for the non-competition category will only be accepted if all the places aren’t filled.
- A custom-made costume by a third party will ONLY be accepted if the costume designer fills up and signs the registration form. The costume designer does not have to go on stage, but his or her presence in the waiting room is mandatory. Wigs, small accessories and jewelry are exempt from this rule.
- The judges’ decisions are final. Categories, prize types and mentions are at the discretion of the judges and management.
- Judgment for workmanship is only mandatory for beginners doing a parade, artisans and masters.
The judges and the management of the masquerade reserve the right to disqualify anyone not following the aforementioned rules.
ANY COSTUME FEATURED AND HAVING WON AT ANIMENORTH AND OTAKUTHON CANNOT BE FEATURED AT FESTIVAL NADESHICON. THESE COMPETITIONS ARE OF A HIGHER LEVEL (NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL). ANY COSTUME FEATURED WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.
Rules adapted from those of Anime North, Otakuthon and G-Anime.