Come admire the talent of the cosplayers competing in the masquerade.
Participants prepare themselves several months in advance to make realistic costumes drawn from animes, video games, or even their imagination. Participants must present the results of their work to a panel of experienced judges. They organize an original staging, because they are not only judged on the quality of their work of sewing and craftsmanship but also on their performance on stage.
Registration and rules of the masquerade
Microphones are not provided. The use of a pre-registered soundtrack is highly recommended. We suggest you to put all your sound files in MP3 format. To prevent any confusion, please insert only one audio track on the CD or your flash drive and verify that it’s functioning properly before delivering it at the registration table. If possible, please indicate the title of your performance and the number of your track on the CD. It is also preferable to bring two copies of your CD (of different brands) in case there is a problem with one of the copies. Nadeshicon assumes no responsibility for the loss or the break of the CD or the flash drive that you will deliver; thus, if the music you want to use comes from a rare or original CD, it is preferable to make a copy of your CD.
The maximum performance’s duration is of 1 minute for every group. There is no maximum number of participants per group, but there is a maximum of 10 persons authorized simultaneously on stage.
- No open flame, powder or flash paper is authorized on stage. If you want to use an electronic flash or another visual effect, you must mention it during your registration, so that the host can warn the audience. Laser pointer are strictly forbidden.
- No “difficult to wash” substance is authorized on stage. In case of doubt, ask the authorization of the masquerade’s direction during your registration. The stage must be in the same state after you exit as it was when you entered. If you must leave something on the stage, the object(s) must be easy to pick up for the technical team. Otherwise, you must provide your own ninja.
- No flagrant nudity. The masquerade is an event classified as « G » but not suitable for young children. A classification of General can contain some scenes of violence. These scenes however are few, modest or are presented without complacence. If nudity is present, love scenes remain rather discreet. Depending on the context, some expletives are also tolerated. (Régie du cinéma, Québec https://mcc.gouv.qc.ca/index.php?id=5938).
- No real firearm, no realistic copy and no projectile weapon are authorized. No cold weapon with or without a sharpened blade is authorized. If your costume requires a bow, the string must be unhooked when you are not on stage. All your large accessories, or those resembling a weapon, presented at the masquerade must follow the rules of the festival concerning weapons and be approved by the ”Weapon Check” of the Festival Nadeshicon. NO EXCEPTION.
- Every participant cannot register in more than a skit during the masquerade. However, any individual can present any number of costumes they want, but he can only wear once. The other costumes must be presented by other participants being part of the same group.
- The participants must be present in the participant’s room (Green Room) at the time of the masquerade. Please consult the masquerade’s registration table for more information. If you are not present on time or if you are not ready to go on stage at your turn, you will be disqualified. Any exception is left to the discretion of the judges and the masquerade’s direction.
- The masquerade’s direction reserves the right to eliminate anyone from the competition if the participants are rude, indecent, present a risk for the audience and/or the other participants, or for any other reason judged reasonable.
- The costumes that are tailor-made by a third party will be accepted if, AND ONLY IF, the costume designer has filled and signed the registration form. The costume designer doesn’t have to go up on stage, but their presence in the Green Room is mandatory. The costumes bought online are not accepted. Wigs, small accessories and jewellery are exempt of this rule.
- The judges’ decisions are final. If the judges consider that no costume from a division deserve a prize, they can refrain from giving one. This also goes for the “Best in Show” and “Best in Division” prizes.
ANY COSTUME DISPLAYED AND THAT WON A PRIZE AT OTHER CONVENTIONS* SUCH AS ANIMENORTH AND OTAKUTHON CANNOT BE DISPLAYED AT NADESHICON AS THESE COMPETITIONS ARE ON A HIGHER LEVEL (NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL). ANY SUCH COSTUME DISPLAYED WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DISQUALIFIED.
*Not to list all the conventions.
Thank you for your collaboration.
**Regulations based on those of G-Anime, Otakuthon and Anime North.